MAUI JIM’S LUAU BEANS
James G. Sommer
Two large cans of Bush’s Original beans.
One pound of crispy bacon, crumbled.
One short can of Dole Pineapple Tidbits, including the juice.
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar.
1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s Chipotle BBQ Sauce.
One tablespoon Onion Powder.
One teaspoon Scoville Brothers Singin’ Smoke hot sauce (or more to taste)
1.Fry Bacon until crisp. Set aside on paper towel to absorb grease. When cool, crumble by hand
or using kitchen scissors.
2.Open beans and drain off excess liquid. Empty beans into crock pot (set to High).
3. Add Pineapple pieces and juice to beans.
5. Add BBQ sauce to beans.
6. Add crumbled bacon to beans.
7. Add Dark Brown Sugar to beans.
8. Add Onion Powder to beans, spread evenly.
9. Cook covered on High for 30 minutes or until boiling at the edges.
10. Stir thoroughly, continue cooking covered on High for 30 minutes.
11. Stir in Scoville Brothers Singing Smoke to taste.
12. Reduce to Low heat, and cook uncovered, stirring as needed.
– Cooking uncovered at low heat allows the liquid to evaporate.
13. Serve when beans reach desired consistency, or cover and leave on Warm until the Pig is